Kriegsspiel

Do anyone know anything about the game Kriegsspiel?

It is in fact the first realistic wargame ever created - made by a Prussian officer in 1800-something, it was quickly incorporated in the teaching of officers. It has now been reprinted and is being published by Too Fat Lardies in the UK (cheaper shipping!). To any wargame enthusiast this should be pretty interesting. Opposed to most modern board wargames, this game includes an 'umpire' that function a bit like a GM in an RPG. The players do now have complete knowledge about possible enemy location, but can only see what the umpire lets them see. The umpire will let the player know about sightings from scouts, or gunfire from a certain direction (if severeal players on each side), and actions largely takes place only as a response to order. The orders are of course send by courrier, meaning that they are delayed and might even be lost on the way.

To me this sounds fantastic - I would not mind unpire'ing.

But has anyone heard of this, or even tried it out?

Ras

Almost all the current crop of games (be it wargames, tabletop miniature games, boardgames, and even RPG’s) can trace the roots to this ancient game.

It is noted in history that this game was the one who made it possible for Germany to win the 1870 war against France, because the official cadre had years training manouvers in this game. You may check this.

Manuel Pombeiro
a.k.a.Firepigeon
LUDO ERGO SUM

there is also a pretty big UK site (Kriegsspiel News) that discuss Kriegsspiel and Free Kriegsspiel.

So, any experience with this Pombeiro?

Just know my history :slight_smile:

Manuel Pombeiro
a.k.a.Firepigeon
LUDO ERGO SUM

no! Laughing