Raiders of Ridgeworld support blog

I am pleased to see that you reduced most of the stats on the character sheet. Although they made things more complete, some of them seemed confusing (never really understood Grace). You had great ideas, but maybe they were too much. The system seems simpler this way. Still, I feel that some stats overlap each other, they seem to be a sub-type of the other. I’m talking about Coordination and Dexterity, Vitality and Resilience. They seem to do the same thing on different scales, but their names are very similar. All of the Status characteristics seem to have one attribute associated to them, so why not use that attribute instead of creating a new one? You seem too preoccupied with the different status of the character, why not simplify to only one or two characteristics?

Keep up with the good work, things are starting to take a better shape now.

[quote=The_Watcher]I am pleased to see that you reduced most of the stats on the character sheet. Although they made things more complete, some of them seemed confusing[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback, Watcher.

[quote](never really understood Grace).[/quote]

Grace has its place but maybe not in the setting I'm developing. Consider a Cloak and Rapier setting (espada e capa, por outras palavras). Here it is not only important to do things, it's also important to do it with style. Or a game in a setting like Barry Lindon, and similar. That's what grace was for.

[quote]I feel that some stats overlap each other, they seem to be a sub-type of the other. I'm talking about Coordination and Dexterity[/quote]

No, the distinction is standard in pediatrics and pre-primary education and general life. A person can be very dexterous and completely non agile. Consider a person that cares for clocks or that builds military kits, or that paints minis. He may have high dexterity and be able to do very detailed quality work, but he may be almost unable to move around. We find lots of characters like these in action movies. There's the IT expert that can repair your computer and manipulate expertly all stuff, but that is in a wellchair; the thief that is able to open the best security safe by noting things with the tip of his toes, but cannot jump one meter. Agility and dexterity are different things and they allow for more variety in terms of character types.

[quote]Vitality and Resilience.[/quote]

Once more, different things. You can have a character that is healthy as hell, never gets sick, but can't run for more than 20m. Or you can have one that is able to endure all efforts, but the smallest flue sends him to bed. Once more, it's a question of character variability.

[quote]All of the Status characteristics seem to have one attribute associated to them, so why not use that attribute instead of creating a new one?[/quote]

Characteristics and attributes represent different things and serve different purposes. Characteristics represent the dynamics of action, the way people act. Attributes deal with the personal things one uses in action, the personal resources that fuel the end result.

[quote]You seem too preoccupied with the different status of the character, why not simplify to only one or two characteristics?[/quote]

You're right, status is work in progress, it's not a finished product. I'll revise based on playtesting.

Sérgio

Aqui vai mais um update ao Ridgeworld com a última versão da criação de personagem e a primeira versão das regras de acção.

Eu queria fazer um par de playtests do Ridgeworld, um esta semana e outro na próxima mas para isso preciso de jogadores. Daí este anúncio, procuram-se candidatos!

If you read the drafts of the game system there's something that may not be very clear. How do skills (or, to be more precise, the characteristic/skill combine) map into actions?

Well, in most games with skills or equivalents the map is done this way: You have one skill that has both a procedural value (the number that's used in the decision mechanic) and a description of the way it is intended to use. For instance, you have the skill "jump 13" in a game like Pendragon. You refer to the description of the skill to know when and how to use it; and you know you need to roll 13 or less on 1d20 to succeed. The problem with this type of system is that if you want a variant that does not fit the description of jump you need to create a separate skill; and that creates problems when skills are too close to the point that their usage overlaps.

Another approach is the way things are done in HeroQuest and similar games with freeform stats. In this case you don't have a more or less closed list of well developped abilities. Instead, you are free to create your own. This gives a lot of flexibility, granted, but it also creates a lot of problems of interpretation of what fits an ability or overlap between abilities.

In Ridgeworld I'm following a somewhat different path. I have abilities (the combine between a characteristic and a skill), but I also will have a definite list of pre-defined actions. The latter list includes things like "jump", "climb", "attack", "seduce", etc. Youn can find some samples in the Action draft. This means that types of actions are not skills, there's no one-to-one relationship in such terms that each skill is a type of action.

Remember, in Ridgeworld skills are assembled into backgrounds. Backgrounds correspond to fields of action, professions, etc. They are complexes of knowledge or know-how that are determined within a particular culture. Similar backgrounds in different cultures will have different skills, even if these skills are of the same type. Say, a Kiz fighter and a Tuurg fighter, both have fight skills, but the concrete skills are different. One may know how to fight with the spear, while the other usually uses the mace. The Romleh may use the sword instead.

What happens is that the skill description for a particular culture will detail those differences. Part of it will be the context in which people fight; part of it will be the psychology of fight; part of it the equipement used; etc. And a critical component is to say what type of actions are done with the skill.

This means that a skill may be used for different actions. The agile Illuv may use his fencing skill to attack, but also to jump, roll on the ground, dodge, etc. On the other hand, the massive Tuurg uses his fight skill to attack, parry, charge, etc.

My idea is thus to increase the flexibility at the level of skills descrition, but to keep that flexibility under mechanical control by referring back to a set list of actions that may be performed with different skills.

Does this make sense?

Sérgio, só um pequeno àparte… não precisas de ter tudo o que diz respeito ao teu jogo numa única thread (se já não é confuso provavelmente vai sê-lo daqui a mais uns tantos posts, eheh). Há algumas opções que podes considerar:

1. Tens um blogue inteiro só para ti (e para o jogo); o pessoal podia perfeitamente seguir uma sucessão de novos posts por aqui:
    https://www.abreojogo.com/blog/smascrns

2. Desde que marques todos os tópicos (sejam entradas de blogue, tópicos de fórum, imagens, eventos, whatever) como pertencendo ao RPG “Ridgeworld” é possível encontrá-los e segui-los a todos por aqui:
    https://www.abreojogo.com/jogos/ridgeworld

Era só isto. Abraço!

Obrigado pelas sugestões. Eu já me tinha colocado a questão do crescimento desta página mas estava a ser demasiado preguiçoso para procurar alternativas.

Já faz 2 meses que não aparece nada por estes lados de Ridgeworld, tás por aí Sérgio?
Infelizmente já não estou em Lisboa por isso já não consigo ir a encontros de discussão do jogo, mas estarei mais do que disposto a dar ajuda pela net. Bora fazer um play-by-post aqui no site?

É pena saber que estás fora mas também eu estou. Infelizmente vou ter de manter os meus projectos rpgéticos em banho maria por mais um par de meses. Tenho preocupações maiores na minha vida que não me dão tempo nem disponibilidade mental. Mas quando voltar eu aviso.