Raiders of Ridgeworld support blog

There is war coming to the Great Valley. And you are going to be part of it.

For eons the Kiz were the masters of the Great Valley. Under the leadership of the four Zamris the valley prospered despite their endless fights fueled by Tuurg serfs from the High Valleys and Nardgar allies from the Dry Ridge. Then came the Romleh out of nowhere from the bottom end of the Snake Lake. And now the Tzal Zamritz collapsed from inside and from that collapse emerged a new queendom that rechristened the kingdom as Draz. All event previously uneard of. That and the fact that the Draz are intent on conquering the whole valley. Or so it seems.

You are either a Kiz warrior, a Tuurg serf, a Nardgar mercenary, a Romleh explorer or an Illev adventurer. You are part of the wars that are about to break the balance in the Great Valley. Take your side and prepare for the fight.<break>

-------------

Well, I decided to create a blog for my Ridgeworld project. It seems to me that it makes more sense to manage it this way instead of with the Evento facility. So, here it goes. Here I'll update the game development, game sessions etc. (For more on Ridgeworld read the files attached.)

Sérgio

(P.S. Why English? Because I want my friend Olivier Legrand to participate in this forum. Since he doesn't know Portuguese and since I suspect that most of you don't know French, I had to opt for English.)

(No evento inicial do Ridgeworld, https://www.abreojogo.com/node/4255#comment-16347, Olivier Legrand placed several questions. I decided to move to here his questions and my answers so that all data is at the same place. Here it goes.)

Allô Olivier, c'est super the te voir ici. Back to English, anyway. Let me address your questions.

"it looks you're aiming for an "exotic fantasy" setting which could go either in a "Jorune" direction or in a more pulpy direction"

You hit it right. My idea is to go in a more pulpy direction, but in a very wide sense of pulpy that includes most anything produced in the XIX century, from Sir Walter Scott to Jules Verne, from Haggard to Féval or Salgari, all writers that, IMO, are as much part of the pulp cannon as Fritz Leiber , Burroughs or Howard. I was raised on this diet and my game is a direct output of that diet.

"in your last mail you mentioned ER Burroughs but I also thought of Robert E. Howard's ALMURIC (which is BTW very Burroughsian)."

I read most Tarzan novels. The ones I enjoyed more were the ones about lost civilizations. From Howard I read Conan and, very much thanks for your encouragement, Kane. I never read Almuric, though.

"I love the idea of the multi-cultural yet enclosed setting, with war as the main "motor element" - I also think that it will allow you to solve the "so ? this is all very well but what are we supposed to do ?" problem often found in RPGs which have an "exotic" setting."

Actually this is a lesson I got from Conan... and from Mendes Pinto. The best way to start things is at the middle of the action, and the stronger the action the better. The setting can be used in many different terms, of course, but I thought the best way to enter it with the eye of the beast focuzed on you.

"You also seem to be willing to have a background that can be explained in a very concise way (a few pages ?), which is IMO also a great idea."

This has to do with my own concept on how to approach an rpg. I'm one of those that just can't stand games where you need to go through hundreds of pages before starting playing. Buh to Exalted and similar games. In rpg terms I was fed on RuneQues 2, a game where you got into action with only the smallest glimpse of the game world. That's also true about the fiction I mention above. From my point of view the players must be provided with a concise explanation of the setting and that explanation must be enough to play it faithfuly (in the sense that it's better to be approximately correct than certainly wrong, to use another ready-made idea). If a game requires the player to get a PhD on the game world before playing then there's something deeply wrong with the game.

"Your four people seem interesting - although perhaps a bit schematic."

Well, it was just a teaser. In fact the gameworld combines plenty of things I have in my mind, some of which have been there for long. Things that have crossed my columns for RPGnet from Mendes Pinto to Verne, from Donjonfeist to the proposed Ivanhoe.

I have a friend that is a tv and cinema director and not long ago he told me something that became very important for me when I think about rpgs.

What he said was about people that enter movie making. He said that some people have in their minds the very strong image of a scene, and nothing else. The problem with these people is that they have to learn that a scene does not a movie make. Now, that's exactly what happened to me the first time I roleplayed. I had a great scene in my mind... and nothing else. The players enjoyed that scene but the game almost stopped after it. In this game I want to move past the first scene.

He also told me that a lot of people have a whole concept in their minds but that a real movie usually does not accomodate everything we want to do. The director has to chose and drop things, no matter how great these may seem to him. Once more, that's something happening with Ridgeworld. I'm incorporating many ideas I had for other settings, and I'm dropping out a lot of things in the process.

This is to say that there is a whole lot of things behind Ridgeworld, things that are not - I hope - perceptible for the players. That's part of the fun, playing with things that are fairly known, combine them into something different, and see if the players are able to pick up the "hypertext". They don't need to know about it and if they enjoy the game despite not knowing it, then I've done it.

"Each race seems to be associated with one main archetype"

Not exactly, once more that's just the appetizer. I have very strong ideas about each race, each one has a full history explaining from where they come and how they got into where they are. At the present stage that's just in my mind. I plan to write it down, but this does not mean that I'll just post it upfront for everybody to know. I tend to think that it is more interesting for people not to know about it until they have enjoyed the game. Not that these explanations have no impact on the game. I don't like to have a "meta-game" that conditions play.

Let me give you an example that will make this better understood. Suppose I'm the original writer of Robinson Crusoe and want to publish it as a game world. I could say, "here you have this Englishman stranded in a Caraibean island until the day he meets the local Caribe natives." Or I could say, "here you have this man that looks like this and this and behaves like this and this, finding these other men that look like this and this and behaving like this and this, in a place that's like this and this", without giving names to them. In Ridgeworld I'm following the second approach. What do you think?

"If the game is all about conflict, then the sensible option would be to have all the player-characters coming from the same faction / folk - in which case the "single racial archetype" choice will be a problem. And if PC groups are supposed to be multi-cultural (ie one different race/archetype for each player), then how will /could such a group function in a war-dominated environment ? Please tell us more about this !"

Good question. The game deals exactly with things I love, with people at the fringes, the gray areas. All conflicts have plenty of these where people from all sides have to come together and sometimes work together. In fact, the black and white is usually what people tell to those that stay back home, when in the line of action things are a lot more blurred. As always my inspirations are very concrete and historical. Consider the France of the 100 Years War. Consider North Africa in the XVI century. Both sides present themselves involved in a no quarters given war at the ideological level, but on the ground things are a lot more fuzzy.

When I wrote about the wars in the Great Valley I didn't have the next comparision in mind which makes it all the better to explain what I have in mind: The Spanish in Central America, XVI century. How did they conquer the Aztecs in Mexico? By craftly playing the game of conflicts between the latter. When I write "Take your side and prepare for the fight" I don't necessarily mean "sides" as perceived by the rulers of the different powers. There are lesser rulers with their own agendas, and these may work against the objectives of their masters. Another example, Afeganistan and Iran in the course of the last half century. Just see how things changed while remaining the same!

As I said, I had to make choices. I could have taken the setting in very different directions. I would love to explore all those directions but it just is not possible. I'm sure that one day I'll say to myslef, "what I realy wanted to be playing is this and that, and I'm not doing it because I've followed this path", and next I'll add, "of course, if I had done that I would now be complaining for not being playing the War of the Zamrizz"...

5ª feira, 1º de Novembro: Quando cheguei à Runadrake já estava em acção o grupo do D&D. Fiquei a assistir ao jogo até ver se aparecia outro pessoal. Sobre o jogo cabe aos seus protagonistas pronunciarem-se.

(I ended writing in Portuguese, so here goes a sumary in English for Olivier: Yesterday I had my first playtesting session for two players with only a passing rpg experience. It didn't go too far as a game but it was very useful as playtesting. It will help me in deciding several aspects about the game system. I'll present these in future postings.)

A certa altura apareceram o Gustavo e a Isabel, jogadores ocasionais de rpg. Decidimos começar um cenário centrado em Ridgeworld. Comecei por explicar o universo de jogo e passámos à criação das personagens. O Gustavo decidiu jogar um mercador Illuv e a Isabel uma artesã Ramleh. Eu não vou explicar os detalhes do cenário pois pretendo voltar a jogá-lo com outro grupo.

Aliás, falar de cenário é um grande exagero. Como eu não tinha a certeza de ter jogadores tinha apenas algumas notas muito básicas. A ideia era mesmo improvisar e foi o que fiz. Como é evidente tratando-se de um jogadores que conhecem o universo e o sistema pela primeira vez, as coisas não decorrem com fluidez. Pior que isso, eu próprio não tinha um sistema completo para apresentar.

A verdade é que ainda não me decidi sobre várias alternativas no que respeita aos mecanismos do jogo, e isso veio ao de cima na noite de ontem. Acima de tudo direccionei o jogo para ensaiar várias soluções. O resultado foi, como não poderia deixar de ser, que o Gustavo e a Isabel pouco perceberam da forma como o jogo é suposto decorrer. Devo dizer que ficaram mesmo muito confusos. Compreende-se. No entanto gostaram do universo de jogo, o que é excelente.

Pelo meu lado foi muito útil. Permitiu-me decidir várias coisas que vão redireccionar o meu esforço de design em direcções que não eram as que eu estava a pensar seguir até ontem. Ou seja, é tempo de voltar ao trabalho e refazer boa parte do sistema. Nos próximos dias vou precisamente explicar o que eu tinha feito, o que decorreu na sessão de 5ª e o que estou a mudar.

E daqui para a frente? A minha ideia é só voltar a jogar Ridgeworld daqui a duas semanas. Na próxima 5ª estarei na Runadrake mas como jogador. Quem sabe se do Burning Wheel. Entretanto começarei a postar aqui no blogue ficheiros com mais informação do universo de jogo e do sistema, incluindo mapas e folha de personagem. Assim os candidatos a jogadores poderão chegar à mesa de jogo daqui a duas semanas já com uma ideia do que têm pela frente.

Where is the game?
Mainly in my head. I'll be attaching files to this blog with the game world and the rules as I write them.

Where and when is the game played?

I hope every RPG thursdays at Runadrake, Lisbon. I may start a net game somewhere in the future, though.

What is needed to play?

Sets of three d4, d6, d8, d10 and d12. Sorry but I love dice. I'm one of those that got rpgs under the radar because of those crazy polyhedrons.

How many players?

From 1 to 5, even if I prefer 3 to 4.

Independent scenarios or a campaign?

The game world is in turmoil, things are moving all the time. This means that there is an ongoing flow of events and the characters are part of it. Still, each scenario/game session is supposed to be self contained, thus players may come in and out of the game, jumping game sessions, and still be able to participate.

Yes, but then what about character evolution?

In my way of seying things character advancement is not a main concern in game terms. It is not at the core of the game like, for instance, in D&D. Thus the characters (and players) are not disadvantaged if they only play occasionaly.

Sérgio

I'd like to have your answers to the "Big Three" questions of RPG creation:

• What is your game about?
  • What do the characters do?
  • What do the players do?

I can tell by your post that this game is about war between cultures in a closed environement. But is it supposed to be just like that or do you use the war as a background or footnote? Do the characters live in a savage world of fist-fighting and spear-wielding, or is there space for more political scenarios? Is there any new task you assign to your players, or is this just an old-fashioned RPG of questing and problem-solving?

About the game mechanics, how will the rolls be made? Will you make conflict resolution or play-by-play rolling? How's the scene resolution? Will the character sheets be simple or full of stats and perks? How exactelly complex do you want th system to be?

[quote=smascrns]This has to do with my own concept on how to approach an rpg. I'm one of those that just can't stand games where you need to go through hundreds of pages before starting playing. Buh to Exalted and similar games. In rpg terms I was fed on RuneQues 2, a game where you got into action with only the smallest glimpse of the game world. That's also true about the fiction I mention above. From my point of view the players must be provided with a concise explanation of the setting and that explanation must be enough to play it faithfuly (in the sense that it's better to be approximately correct than certainly wrong, to use another ready-made idea). If a game requires the player to get a PhD on the game world before playing then there's something deeply wrong with the game.[/quote]

Well I couldn't agree more. And such an easy, quick access to a game world is perfectly compatible with a rich, complex world full of possibilities (eg Glorantha etc). Many RPGs seem to think that a "complex background" is one that is complex to get into - and this only results in convoluted, over-complicated and "petrified" game settings - you know, the RPG equivalent of those fantasy novels where you have to suffer 100+ pages of "immersive" setting material before anything happens at all... I personally tend to be very wary of RPGs with settings or themes that cannot be summarized in one page. RPGs should be about actions, events, things happening and, above all, the players' own characters and not about visiting someone else's vision of a museum-like world. But I know we agree completely on this (sorry if I got a bit rantish).

[quote=smascrns]

"Your four people seem interesting - although perhaps a bit schematic."

Well, it was just a teaser. In fact the gameworld combines plenty of things I have in my mind, some of which have been there for long. Things that have crossed my columns for RPGnet from Mendes Pinto to Verne, from Donjonfeist to the proposed Ivanhoe.[/quote]

Well I was mainly thinking about the fourth people - the Ramleh, a pseudo-Mediterraneans whose arrival seem to act as the catalyzer for the conflicts etc. When I first read your initial description above, I had the feeling that the Ramleh were more advanced in terms of technology than the other folks but re-reading the paragraphs, I couldn't tell where I got this idea from... Did I guess right or is this a misconception ?

[quote=smascrns]He also told me that a lot of people have a whole concept in their minds but that a real movie usually does not accomodate everything we want to do. The director has to chose and drop things, no matter how great these may seem to him. Once more, that's something happening with Ridgeworld. I'm incorporating many ideas I had for other settings, and I'm dropping out a lot of things in the process.

This is to say that there is a whole lot of things behind Ridgeworld, things that are not - I hope - perceptible for the players. That's part of the fun, playing with things that are fairly known, combine them into something different, and see if the players are able to pick up the "hypertext". They don't need to know about it and if they enjoy the game despite not knowing it, then I've done it.[/quote]

I think that what your friend told you also applies to RPGs (and to all forms of fictional creation at large BTW); I know I've always done this for the various RPGs I've written and finished - and that I couldn't have finished them if I had not taken this perspective somewhere during the design process. One of the first RPGs I wrote, Uchronia 1890, was a collective effort (we were three on the projects) and we had a very, very difficult time deciding which thing was to be dropped, which was to be kept in order to have a coheren, final result. In my later games (which I wrote alone), I noticed that this "evolving approach" imposed itself more and more - even though I still had to have a clear vision of what I wanted to achieve (and what I wanted to avoid, too :)) at the start but this is largely because most of my games are direct and "as-faithful-as-possible" adaptations of literary material; in this case, the work on background, setting etc has more to do with "translation into game terms" than with original creation. In the case of Ridgeworld, you're creating the game AND the world at the same time - and this is a balancing act. You have to be sure that your "world" ideas will translate well in "game"... and that your "game" ideas will work well with your "world" ideas. This is a subtler alchemy than it may seem at first - and I think that the best way to succeed at it is to proceed as you seem to be doing : work on game and world simulatneously, so that one can feed the other and vice versa. Creating the world first without giving a thought to the system and then trying to translate the finished work in game terms often results in a "quick-and-dirty" (or wildly improper) system being artificially grafted onto a pre-existing world.

That being said, I'll stop there (I must leave the cyberspace :)). I'll come back later to continue the talk - and talk system too !

Best regards

O.L.

[quote=The_Watcher]I’d like to have your answers to the "Big Three" questions of RPG creation:[/quote]Me too. Tell us what do you want to do.

I don't know if these are the big three but I'll try to answer them anyway. Yet, I'll start with the questions in the last two paragraphs and next order things by returning to your big three.

"I can tell by your post that this game is about war between cultures in a closed environement. But is it supposed to be just like that or do you use the war as a background or footnote?"

It will depend on the players. There's war in the game world, and that's a major factor. How do the characters deal with it? The players decide. Needless to say, they will be at the core of the action right from the begining but I can't dictate what they want to focus on. If they want to focus on war, war will be at the foreground. But there are so many other things one can do in times of war. It can be about diplomacy and espionage; it can be about crime and betrayal; it can about romance; it can be about denial.

"Do the characters live in a savage world of fist-fighting and spear-wielding, or is there space for more political scenarios?"

Both. It's a savage world of fist-fighting and spear-wielding, but it is not a world where that's the blokes know to do. Fist-fighting and spear-wielding is a means to ends that are political in nature. They may just be seen as the best means at hand...

"Is there any new task you assign to your players, or is this just an old-fashioned RPG of questing and problem-solving?"

At moment 1 they will have a very clear and precise task. The reason is simple, it facilitates entering the game and since the initial game sessions are in a great part directed at learning the game system and getting a good grasp of the setting, it is better for the players to have clear guidelines on what to do. Afterwards they may move in any direction they want.

Yet, questing in the D&D, fake Arthuriana sense is not part of the setting. Did you notice that I called it Riders of Ridgeworld and not The Ridgeworld Quest? I'm not exactly a lover of high fantasy, I much prefer gritty.

Problem solving may be there if needed. I'm not good at setting up logical challenges.

The focus is on power games, emotional conflicts, surviving in a changing world.

"About the game mechanics, how will the rolls be made?"

The core role involves picking a pool of similar dice, rolling it, and selecting one single value. I've described this often in my RPGnet columns, but what I changed is that I'm using multiple types of dice instead of a single type. A simple example (not from the Ridgeworld):

Jao wants to pick an apple from an apple tree but the apple is out of his reach, he has to jump to pick it up. The GM decides that it is not a difficult task, so he decides that it requires a roll of 4 or higher.

For that purpose he uses his 'Coordination' characteristic and his 'Athletics' skill. Now, he has 1d8 for coordination, a regular, average value. And he is a rather athletic guy, so he gets a bonus of 1 die for athletics. The player rolls 2d8 and retains the highest value, 7. Jao easily picks the apple.

Bert, Jao's younger brother also decides to pick a tree. Bert's has an higher coordination of 1d10, but he is also less skilled in athletics, so his jump gets a penalty of 1 die. Furthermore he is smaller, so the jump is harder for him and because of that the GM decides that he needs to roll 6 or higher. The player rolls two 2d10 and since the lower one is 5 Bert is not able to pick the apple.

What if the character has average skill? The simplest rule just attributes to the roll one die without any penalty or bonus dice. A slightly more complex alternative that produces better results is to have the player rolling three dice and retaining the middle value, the median.

"Will you make conflict resolution or play-by-play rolling?"

What do you have in mind with this?

"How's the scene resolution?"

What do you have in mind with this?

"Will the character sheets be simple or full of stats and perks?"

Simple. I don't like endless lists of data that is hard to record, hard to change and most often than not is unused.

"How exactelly complex do you want the system to be?"

It depends on where you look for complexity. If you are looking at the core stats and their quantifiers, I want simple. For instance the characteristics vary on a scale that goes from 1d3 (or 1d4-1, I didn't make up my mind) to 1d12+1, meaning that the scale has just seven values. Skills vary in a scale with 5 values (2 penalty to 2 bonus). There will no very detailed skills. A lot of things one finds in situations like combat don't figure in the game system. Rounds or whatever we call it cover a lot of time (30 seconds), most game steps are resolved with a single die roll.

On the other hand, I'll have body locations, variable types of damage and protection against damage, maneuvering, and other complexities that many game systems don't include. I'll have a lot of scope for alternate ways of dealing with the game situations like by tapping on the psychological side of conflict, things that many "detailed" game systems don't consider in depth.

Now, back to your three big questions:

"What is your game about?"

It's about an exotic place populated with exotic peoples and the conflicts among them.

"What do the characters do?"

Survive, fight, explore, manipulate, interact.

"What do the players do?"

!? Play their characters, no?

[quote=olivier legrand]

Well I was mainly thinking about the fourth people - the Ramleh, a pseudo-Mediterraneans whose arrival seem to act as the catalyzer for the conflicts etc.[/quote]

Humm, I’m actually developping the game world as things go, drawing the map and putting things in place. I prefer a game world where there are several things going on, impacting each other but none being the core thread. This way the players and the game is not fixed on that single thread. If the players cut it, there are other threads to pursue and the game doesn’t stop.

The arrival of the Ramleh or, to be more precise, the consolidation of their position allows them now (meaning, the Ridgeworld now) to jump into new "flights of fancy". This is one thread. Another one concerns the Kiz. One of their Zamritz (Kiz kingdoms) is on a very agressive expansion. To be honest these are the two threads I have at this stage but I’ll come out with one or two more.

[quote=smascrns]

When I first read your initial description above, I had the feeling that the Ramleh were more advanced in terms of technology than the other folks[/quote]~

Your’e perfectly right. They are a lot more advanced. In any case, the game world is light on tech. Let me put it this way, the Kiz are very low, they are a little above the level of Amazonian tribes. The Illuv have some tech (in a loose sense) advantages, the Nurdgar are at the level of the Dark Ages at the most, the Taarg are pre-historic or at the level of some African tribes some centuries ago. The Ramleh are a mix. They have things that are very simple and other things that are fairly complex to the level of the Early Modern Age.

[quote=olivier legrand]

most of my games are direct and "as-faithful-as-possible" adaptations of literary material; in this case, the work on background, setting etc has more to do with "translation into game terms" than with original creation.[/quote]

For me this translation is a really hard work, in a sense much harder than working on a new world. After all, when creating a new world and a new system one can always say that the world is as in the system. One can’t do that when designing a game for an existing world that is not of our creation. You mentionned Glorantha and it is a good case in point. For the author, Greg Stafford, RuneQuest was not adequate to model Glorantha… despite the fact that it was almost the only way other people could access the setting.

[quote=olivier legrand]

In the case of Ridgeworld, you’re creating the game AND the world at the same time - and this is a balancing act. You have to be sure that your "world" ideas will translate well in "game"… and that your "game" ideas will work well with your "world" ideas. This is a subtler alchemy than it may seem at first - and I think that the best way to succeed at it is to proceed as you seem to be doing : work on game and world simulatneously, so that one can feed the other and vice versa.[/quote]

Quite right. This is the approach that ensures the best and more consistent design. Even if I always defended that "system follows setting" the truth is both go together.

[quote=olivier legrand]

Creating the world first without giving a thought to the system and then trying to translate the finished work in game terms often results in a "quick-and-dirty" (or wildly improper) system being artificially grafted onto a pre-existing world. [/quote]

Most often than not this just means that "setting follows system". I mean the game designer picks an existing system and tries to retrofit the setting to the system. Usually with disastrous results. This is not to say that we can’t use features of pre-existing systems for a game based on a given game world. Call of Cthullu is still a model case study.
Sérgio

The Watcher asked about dice rolls and I explained how they work. Yet, there's a lot more to them. The way I designed the mechanic and the stats that it employes is at the core of my concept of a system. It's worth explaining this with more detail.

Let me recall, in the Ridgeworld system (from now on RWS) one has characteristics that vary on a scale expressed as different types of dice. The die associated with the characteristic is the basic randomiser so I'll call it the Base Die or BD. There are also skills expressed as a varying number of dice added to the BD. These are either penalty dice or bonus dice. In the case of penalty dice we roll the dice pool and retain the lowest value rolled; in the case of bonus dice we roll the dice pool and retain the highest value rolled.

Why did I chose such a system? Because it allows me to express things about the game world in a concise and mechanicaly sound way. Let's see what.

I mentionned that RW is a pulpish game. In that sense it should allow the players to model characters that are not that different from Conan, Tarzan, Flash Gordon, to mention a few.

Pulpish characters have something in common: they are outstanding. They are above average, and they are above average because they have innate abilities, talents, attributes. Conan or Tarzan are bigger, more agile, smarter than most other people. This is not the result of hard work, it is like that because that's the way they were born. RWS handles this with the different types of dice associated with innate characteristics. An outstanding character is able to do things a regular guy is not able to. In game terms, he can get 12 in a die roll, where the average guy can't go above 8.

Still, pulpish heroes are not just more talented, they also grow and mature. The young Tarzan or Conan are as talented as their mature versions but they don't perform as well. Why? Because they lack knowledge and experience. Knowledge and experience do not give them more potential, though (bigger dice in game terms). What they give them is a more consistent output. Within their potential their older versions are able to be consistently good, while their younger versions are more prone to failures and errors. In other words, both the old Conan and the young Conan have the same range of alternative results from 1 to 12; but the older Conan usually does things close to twelve, while the young Conan often does not reach that level. This is represented in the game system with the bonus and penalties dice. These ensure that the less skilled character underperforms when compared with the more experienced one but that both retain the same scope of potential results.

A third aspect about pulp is that it is not about subtile and minute differences, it does not have many shades of grey. Characters are extreme and with few grades in between. By using small scales (7 levels for characteristics, 5 for skills) I ensure that this is so with the game system.

One of the things I like about the mechanic is that I can reverse it's pressupositions and it still works as well. For instance, if I was designing a contemporary game what I just wrote wouldn't hold true. In our contemporary world education dictates more our ability to act than natural talent, at least in most knowledge-based or technical fields. I can model this with the exact mechanic I described above by simply reversing the reasoning: In this case the type of dice models level of knowledge, and the type of dice pool models natural ability. For instance, in chemistry the d12 means post doc level; the d10 means PhD level; the d8 means Masters level; the d6 means Degree level; the d4 means high school level; the d3 means basic school level. 2 bonus means great talent for sciences, 2 penalty means extreme lack of talent for sciences.

Going back to pulp, there are plenty of settings that combine characters that are talent-based with others that are skill-based. Think about that neo-pulp setting, Jurassic Park. Or think about a sorcerer in the Conan stories or the civilized men in Tarzan.

By playing with these two approaches I can model a lot of different types of characters with a single and simple mechanic. At least that's my hope. What do you think?

[quote=smascrns]"Do the characters live in a savage world of fist-fighting and spear-wielding, or is there space for more political scenarios?"

Both. It’s a savage world of fist-fighting and spear-wielding, but it is not a world where that’s the blokes know to do. Fist-fighting and spear-wielding is a means to ends that are political in nature. They may just be seen as the best means at hand…[/quote]

So, in other words it’s a mainly violent world where somethings have to be solved by violence. Don’t be afraid to be extremist, don’t stay on the gray areas or people won’t get a good idea of where you are going with something.

[quote=smascrns]The focus is on power games, emotional conflicts, surviving in a changing world.[/quote]

Big definition you got here, very important in my opinion.

[quote=smascrns]"Will you make conflict resolution or play-by-play rolling?"

What do you have in mind with this?[/quote]

What I mean is, will players roll to see if the lie they just told sticks, or do they roll once for an entire conflict. Will they roll for the big picture, or the small details? Or will you let players solve certain conflicts without any rolls?

[quote=smascrns]"How’s the scene resolution?"

What do you have in mind with this?[/quote]

Will scenes be used in a determined way? Will they end when the conflict is resolved? Will some of them have a specific focus like flashbacks/dreams/foresight/personal moments? Will this have any impact on the characters? My idea about this is something like the focus between personal and story scenes from PTA.

[quote=smascrns]"What is your game about?"

It’s about an exotic place populated with exotic peoples and the conflicts among them.[/quote]

All games are exotic with exotic characters. What makes your so special and why? Is it the events in their world? Is it their mindsets? Please elaborate.

[quote=smascrns]"What do the characters do?"

Survive, fight, explore, manipulate, interact.[/quote]

Normal actions for any character in any RPG game. What specific or out of the ordinary actions can they take? What can they do on Ridgeworld that they can’t do anywhere else?

[quote=smascrns]"What do the players do?"

!? Play their characters, no?[/quote]

On the same record of the previous question, what do the players do while playing Ridgeworld that they can’t do with anything else?

Sounds good to me, diferent dice really seem like a good way to show a characters potencial in a situation. Will you use dice modifiers that affect the final result of the dice?

May I suggest that you don't use body parts in your system? They easily break apart a fight scene, even with penalties applied. If the players realise that they can kill an opponent with one blow to the head, that's all they will ever do. Generic health might not be so realistic, but it's wiser.

What about character creation, how will it work? Will players roll their stats or do they buy them with points? Will they start out as the average joe or are already at champion level? Have you made a character sheet we can see?

PS: I'm sorry if I seem like the most annoying being in the world, but I find that posing question sometimes is the best way for a designer to get things going. And the different perspective provided might help a lot. Congratulations on your project, it has legs to stand on.

[quote=The_Watcher]

I’m sorry if I seem like the most annoying being in the world, but I find that posing question sometimes is the best way for a designer to get things going. And the different perspective provided might help a lot. Congratulations on your project, it has legs to stand on. [/quote]

That’s exactly why I started this blog, to get feedback and to see my ideas challenged. Keep it coming in.
[quote]Will you use dice modifiers that affect the final result of the dice?[/quote]

What do you mean, fixed modifiers that add/substract from the value rolled on the dice? If that’s so the answer is no. I like closed scales. I know open scales are a lot more common but from my point of view that’s because they facilitate ad hoc design. I prefer the hard way of tide design where the designer really has to consider all the possibilities and how they interact. If I use a close scale, I have to factor in everything (or at least the more important things).

Modifiers may come as bonus or penalty dice, though.

[quote]May I suggest that you don’t use body parts in your system? They easily break apart a fight scene, even with penalties applied. If the players realise that they can kill an opponent with one blow to the head, that’s all they will ever do.[/quote]

Well, I was fed on the deady of body parts, RuneQuest, and I never found that problem (mostly because the body location hit was decided with a die roll). When I get to that part of the game I’ll rething about it.

[quote]What about character creation, how will it work?[/quote]

Did I mention the word "simple" before? It will be very simple. I don’t like complex, overdetailed or lengthy character creation. Unless it is really good, like in Te Deum.

[quote]Will players roll their stats or do they buy them with points?[/quote]

Neither. They just choose them. No points, no rolls, just options.

[quote]Will they start out as the average joe or are already at champion level?[/quote]

There is a very simple rule in my design book, and that’s heroes and superheroes are not made by design, they have to justify the title. Characters start as ordinary people with some distinguishing talents… and a lot of determination, but that’s in the hands of the players, not the game system.

If two hobbits could be the central heroes in the number one world of fantasy fiction, why should things be any different in fantasy roleplay?

[quote]Have you made a character sheet we can see?[/quote]

I’m working on it, just as I’m working on the game world and rules primers. As soon as they are ready I’ll post them here.
Sérgio Mascarenhas

[quote=The_Watcher]

will players roll to see if the lie they just told sticks, or do they roll once for an entire conflict. Will they roll for the big picture, or the small details? Or will you let players solve certain conflicts without any rolls?[/quote]

You’re touching in another of my core design goals: That’s not for the system to decide. The system should offer options that accomodate the different play styles of different players and groups. Why should I decide how people should play?

For that purpose the system must offer all options. You want to solve things free form with no randomness? Do it. You want structure but no chance? The system will give you this. You want randomness but fast results? You should have it. You want detailed, step-by-step resolution? It will be there.

What will not be there is irrealistic (yes, I’m using this word) overdetail. I just don’t agree with 3 second rounds. That’s not the pace of action. I don’t agree with plenty of things one finds in some of the more popular game systems and these will not find a place in my game.

[quote]Will scenes be used in a determined way?[/quote]

That’s not for me to decide. Players are different and they have different requirements. That’s their job. Of course, the game provides a structure but that’s all.

[quote]Will they end when the conflict is resolved?[/quote]

I consider that this belongs in the "Art of Gamemastering" book. No, it is not a book I’m thinking of writing at this stage. I don’t even have the experience to write it.

[quote]Will some of them have a specific focus like flashbacks/dreams/foresight/personal moments?[/quote]

Ditto. There will be no rules for these things. I mean, the system should easily accomodate them because there will be psychological traits. I can have examples of play with this kind of situations. But I’ll not turn such things into structured mechanics. It’s not a game about the psychology of the characters, it’s a game where that psychology contributes to the overall experience.

[quote]My idea about this is something like the focus between personal and story scenes from PTA.[/quote]

I can’t answer this because I don’t know PTA. I’m a system freek but I freek about systems designed for game world I like, and I have no interest in the PTA setting concept. Which may actually answer your question: Maybe that setting requires the things you are asking about; maybe I’m not that turned to a setting that requires those things, thus I may not be fond of the things thamselves. I may be wrong, anyway.

[quote]All games are exotic with exotic characters. What makes your so special and why? Is it the events in their world? Is it their mindsets?[/quote]

I don’t exactly consider that my game is unique or revolutionary or whatever. What I think is that it will be different, at least it will be out of the ordinary in terms of standard rpg fantasy. No medieval influences; no super characters; no character evolution (in the mechanical sense). I know that most of the inspirations I’ve picked to design the game world have not been tapped in other games, for instance.

Now, it’s up to the people reading or playing the game to decide if the output is special. I personally don’t care that much. For me the purpose is to have fun in the design process.

[quote]What specific or out of the ordinary actions can they take?[/quote]

None. The game system does not provide them with anything that allows the characters to do out of the ordinary actions. This is not part of the system. The characters can be normal people doing extraordinary things, yes. But that’s because the players play them that way. It is not because the game world says so and the system obliges. I’ll repeat, I don’t like superheroes.

The characters are to be on the league of India Jones, Vernian characters, even Tarzan.

[quote]What can they do on Ridgeworld that they can’t do anywhere else?[/quote]

If I focus on the game system my purpose is not to have a system that allows the characters to do things that other game systems don’t allow. The purpose is to do the same things (ordinary actions, actually) better in game terms.

[quote]On the same record of the previous question, what do the players do while playing Ridgeworld that they can’t do with anything else?[/quote]

Probably nothing. As I just said, my purpose is to do similar things better in a setting that is enjoyable and different. Let me put it this way, I want to achieve the same level of quality of Tribe 8, Prince Valiant and Griffin Mountain. If I do it I gained my day.

Yesterday was another RPG Thursday at Runadrake. When I arrived Joaquim (The Watcher if I'm not mistaken) was already there. We discussed several games until Pedro came. At that time we started discussing Joaquim's Wish rpg in the making. There's an intriguing concept behind it. I hope Joaquim is able to put together a playable version soon.

After that we started discussing Ridgeworld. Soon afterwards Mariano came. After dinner we continued the interaction but Joaquim had left in between.

Pedro and Mariano had some excellent ideas. There are fields where things are really underdevelopped, specially about the game world. Pedro's and Mariano's suggestions will help me in addressing those questions. And Pedro is going to create art for the game which is great.

In the mean time I'm adding more wood to the fire. Yes, it's good to develop the game world and, yes, it's good to develop the system, but that's not enough, at least for me. I need game management tools. As a prospective GM for Ridgeworld I need tools to support the gaming. I'm going to start working on these. I'm going through my collection of games to pick the things I consider more inspiring. I've already selected Griffin Mountain and Prince Valiant.

This is something a lot of games lack. It's something that I can't understand. Most games are sold with almonst no gaming specific material other than character creation and setting description. Is like selling a boardgame without the board and the gaming pieces and saying, "now, design your board and your pieces". It makes no sense. A fully playable rpg should have all the stuff to be played.

Last week João Mariano and Pedro wanted to start playing as soon as possible. Sorry folks but it will not be possible right now. The game is just not mature enough. I need to move forward with the materials I have first. Let me tell you what I've been working on (when I have time to do it):

The game world. I stopped working on it for now. I have the big picture, the details will come in due time.

The rules I stabilized the core traits, the Characteristics and Attributes. I also stabilized the skills and backgrounds. Of course, I'm talking about the broad sketch, not the final product. I'm happy with what I have, though. Yet, there was a critical component I hadn't worked on till now, the difficulties. I've been working on this. I'll create a separate thread to discuss it.

The initial mini-campaign. As I stated before, I have a problem with the creation of a playable plot. Without it I may have game world and rules but I don't know how to turn these into a game when I weare the GM hat. So, I need a plot. More than that, I need tools for the creation of plots. From my point of view this is essencial for me to have a complete game. Many rpgs disregard this. I would not GM those games because they don't have something that I consider indispensable to play them. I'll also address this issue in a separate thread.

Ok, let’s start with an update on how the system works:

The player picks the characteristic of reference for the action. This characteristic has a value that is a die from 1d4-1 to ad12+1. This is the Base Die.

The player picks the ability (background or skill) that best applies to the action. This ability adds penalties or bonus that correspond to extra dice of the type of the characteristic. If the modifier is a bonus the player rolls the dice pool and retains the highest value. If the modifier is a penalty the player rolls the dice pool and retains the lowest value.

The value rolled is compared with the difficulty of the action: If it is above the difficulty the player has a normal success; if it is above the difficulty * 2, it’s a special success; if it is above the difficulty * 4, it’s a critical success.

I also follow the rule that the Base Die actually requires the player to roll three dice and pick the middle value, the median. This simulates a bell curve and avoids too frequent extreme results without distording the average results.

Now, the problem is, how do I define the default difficulty for the system? I’m following the next procedure:

Start with the most extreme case, and work with what’s more common. Of course, in rpgs the more common case is combat and the most extreme case is to kill the target with a single blow. Are there circumstances where a character is supposed to kill an adversary with a single blow, and to do it as a standard thing? Yes, I can think of two: An executioner shopping the head of a convict; a toreador killing the bull in a bullfight. Let’s try to work out the default difficulty from the first of these two extreme cases:

The executioner. He has to kill the convict with a single blow of a two-handed sword or axe. And he should do this without trouble, meaning he does it most often than not, only in exceptional circumstances will he fail.

Let’s start with the performance, the characteristic/ability roll. We have to consider:

A characteristic, in this case Coordination (adroitness). Well, I think an executioner shouldn’t need to be specially good at this. Let’s consider that he has average Coordination, meaning 1d8.

Skill. He has an executioner skill, of course, but the common executioner should have average skill, meaning no bonus or penalties to the dice pool.

Physical and mental status. We should consider that our executioner is physicaly fit, so there are no penalties here. And he is experienced, so he has no emotional compulsions about beheading a fellow man.

Resistance. Is there anyone resisting the executioner’s action? Sadly for the convict no. He is bound an can do nothing other than wait passively for the blow.

Environmental control. The executioner has time to prepare his blow, to balance the sword, to measure the striking hangle, etc. This is not an hurried action. He gets 1 bonus for this.

With all these premises in place we reach the conclusion that the player controling the executioner rolls a dice pool of two d8 and retains the highest value rolled. The average result under these circumstances is 5.81.

Now, I also advanced the premise that to behead a person with a single blow one needs a critical result since this is the most extreme result possible (instant death). 5.81 is above 1 * 4 but bellow 2 * 8, so the normal difficulty an executioner should face when beheading someone should be 1. Hence the question, how do we get that difficulty of 1?

For that purpose we need to consider: The relevant attributes on the part of the convict and the executioner; the equipment used; and the environmental circumstances.

The most relevant attribute for both parties is Body. It’s easier to behead a small creature than a great one; and a big guy is able to deliver a more powerful blow than a small one. Executioners have to behead a lot of different people, including some realy large fellows, but this a blow to the neck, usually not the strongest part of the body, so I consider that the Body of the convict has no impact on difficulty. On the other hand, slim, weak people have no business in executions, so I’ll consider the case where the executioner is also big, which lowers the difficulty by -1.

In terms of equipment, our executioner uses a heavy, specially crafted sword, perfectly balanced for beheadings. This lowers the difficulty by -1.

The mods that apply to difficulty are thus -2.

Time to conclude: The beheading ability roll is made against a difficulty of 1. This is the result of a standard of default difficulty that was lowered by -2. Then, the default difficulty has to be 3.

That’s it, I have a default difficulty to work with, and it is 3. I’m trying to model other situations to see if I can inductively generalise the rule that this is really the default for the Ridgeworld system.

Sérgio

A problem I have as a GM, and I mentionned it before, is the issue of developping several threads in the gameworld that can explored and linked into a net where the PCs can evolve. Without this I can’t develop the game or make it interesting for the players. On the other hand, I don’t like linear threads (or plots) where the PCs are contrieved to follow a single path. Part of my Ridgeworld project is precisely to address this issue in such terms that I can generalise and apply to other games. How to do it?

As always the best way is to looI checked my game collection for this purpose. Unfortunately it includes core game books that are mostly about rules and settings, not tools for GMs. Yet, I have two wonderful gamebooks that became in the last days required reference materials: Prince Valiant and Griffin Mountain.

Prince Valiant includes several pre-generated situations that can be used and re-used. The format proposed by Greg Stafford is wonderful and I’l going to adapt it for the creation of scenes in my game(s). I’ve made a form that I can fill for that purpose by changing PVs basic format.

GriffMount gives a term of comparision to what I should be able to do in terms of gameworld design.

Yet, this is not enough. I wanted more and did it myself. I created a plot form where I can map relationships between scenes. In my model a plot is a collection of scenes with an introductory scene, some alternative final scenes, and several scenes in-between which can be interlinked. I developped several such plots that are interlinked into a mega-plot. This way I can develop materials for non-linear plots and make a more interesting game for the players. With this I already developped a fairly complex plot for a Ridgeworld mini-campaign. Of course, the model and the empty forms can be used for me to develop many other campaings and plots, both for Ridgeword and for other games.

The next step is to develop the scenes. I’ll need some time to do this. The initial steps are just description. When I finish this I can start defining the stats for the entities in the scenes (creatures, stuff, events, etc.). Defining stats means I have a game system that provides the stats… which I don’t have at the time. In fact, this first mini-campaign will allow me to test the stats packages and see if things work. In this sense rules creation will be completely interlinked with scenario creation, that is completely interlinked with game world creation. It becomes a dialectical process.

As you can see, this is a lot of work, that’s why I had to postpone the startup of the Ridgeworld gaming. I see no other way to proceed. If I don’t have the gaming materials for the GM (the plots, scenes and stats) I have nothing to game with.

Here goes an update to the Ridgeworld project with the next changes:

The presentation of the game has been changed to accomodate my more recent changes to the game world and the system.

I included two files for download, one with the character creation rules (unfinished draft) and another with a character sheet.

If you can please create a character and report back your experience. Thanks in advance.